PAML School Counseling Staff
- Jessica Dambach, LCMHC, School Counselor
Peoples Academy Middle Level
(802) 888-1401 ext. 6144
- Chris Player, School Based Clinician
- Margo Warden, Substance Abuse Prevention Counselor
- Kelly Saphier, Wellness
Recommended Reading for Middle Level Parents
Helicopter Parenting: Julie Lythcott-Haims, former dean of freshmen at Stanford University, thinks that “helicopter parenting” is ruining a generation of children.
She offers four tips:
- Avoid saying “we”. Let your child be in the forefront.
- Don’t constantly question teachers, principals, referees, coaches, etc. Let children advocate for themselves.
- Let your children do their own work.
- Seek opportunities to let children be independent, especially for teenagers.
Watch the video and read the full article here: Former Stanford dean explains why helicopter parenting is ruining a generation of children
Common Sense Media: http://www.commonsensemedia.org/
Programs offered at PAML
A World of Difference
A program to prepare middle and high school students to work with their peers to confront bias and create inclusive environments in their schools and communities. Workshops also help students explore the harms of name-calling and bullying and develop skills to be allies to others.
“Mentoring makes a Difference” 6th student with a 10th grade mentor.
Qualified high school students are paired with 5th or 6th grade students to provide 20-30 minutes a week or 1:1 time in the library, shooting hoops, playing a game or walking and talking. This powerful experience has connected our students and our school community. The younger students report the best part about it is having an older student care about them and listen to them. The older students give valuable peer advice and are role models.