SMS School Hours: 8:00 a.m. – 2:45 p.m.
Student drop off starts at 7:30 a.m. Please do not drop your child off prior to 7:30 on any day. Attendance is taken promptly at 8:00 a.m.
SMS Phone Number: 802-253-6913
SMS School Nurse: 802-253-6913 x 1099
Greetings Stowe Middle School Families!
I want to encourage you to review the entirety of this week’s message for important announcements, opportunities for parents, and sharing around happenings at Stowe Middle School.
We are working tirelessly to be ready for our first day back from Winter Break (January 3rd) and our first Friday Program (January 7th). I sent a message to all families this morning via email about transportation to and from Friday Program sites. Call us at 802-253-7229 if you did not receive this email. It may be helpful to check your spam folders too. Here is the message about Friday Program transportation. Like you, I am excited to see Friday Program return and appreciate your support in making this work. We may be in need of volunteers for snowboarding or skiing. If you’re interested in this opportunity email email@example.com about skiing and firstname.lastname@example.org about snowboarding.
We return from Winter Break on January 3, 2022. Our teachers have used several faculty meetings to collect data, review their instruction and classroom management protocols. Educators have observed each other in their instruction via small groups and shared strategies of what works. I am impressed with our educators commitment to be vulnerable, collaborative and focused on doing what is best for students. Every Stowe Middle School educator is preparing their January 3rd plans before break arrives. This will ensure a smooth transition back for our students.
Educators are asking for support in the following areas:
- Have a supportive conversation with your student about cell phones in middle school. We have posted and shared that phones should be away during the learning day. There is time at the start and end of the day to check their phones.
- Provide your student with at least two masks and warm clothing for outdoors. When students are outside and return inside their nose can run a little bit which requires a mask switch.
- A number of seasonal head colds are emerging right now at Stowe Middle School. We are seeing students staying home from school when they’re sick. Thank you for your understanding and support with this. Educators are doing their best to adjust instruction, post materials on Schoology and welcome students back to school after an illness. It is challenging for sure to meet everyone’s needs but I am proud of the collective efforts everyone is doing right now. Want to show appreciation to our teachers? Click here.
Take a look below at some of the fabulous opportunities our students have!
Last week, I announced that Stowe Middle School will have in-person opportunities to connect families with our school after winter break. Please review these opportunities below.
- Stowe Middle School’s advisory council will start in January and meet every other month. This council includes educators and parent leaders who are committed to sharing information and resources in a collaborative manner to promote educational excellence for all students. Effort is made to have representation of the ethnic, racial and economic makeups of our school community. Are you interested in this opportunity? We will meet once in January, March and May. Email email@example.com if you would like more information.
- Each month, starting in January, I will be hosting a monthly morning opportunity called Second Cup of Coffee. Parents are encouraged to bring a friend and have the opportunity to meet with the principal and other educators, and other parents to discuss school activities such as advisory, curriculum, testing, etc. This is a drop in opportunity. Join us TUESDAY, January 4th at 7:30AM in the cafeteria! Feel free to bring your own coffee mug or we’ll have some available!
- Stowe Middle School’s Principal Dan Morrison and Stowe High School’s Principal David Greenfield will host an educator appreciation celebration before winter break. We are going to host bingo, cider, hot chocolate, and snacks for our teachers on Wednesday, December 22nd. We could use donations of gift certificates or prizes for our teachers to play for! Do you know someone who might like to donate a prize? If so, fill out or share this quick form (tinyurl.com/bingosmhs ) and a member of our team will connect with you. All donations are greatly appreciated and to be dropped off by December 17th. You can simply give us a call too at 802-253-7229 or email firstname.lastname@example.org.
As a reminder, registration for the Winter Break Reading Event at Stowe Middle School ends tomorrow! Response is strong and spots are almost full! Sign-up today! Read the details below!
Students should be on the lookout for emails and posters (as seen above) around the middle school with instructions for how to access the signup link for the Winter Break Reading Event. Students will have the opportunity to fill out a quick signup form and during the last week of school before the December break, students will receive a box with 4-5 surprise books along with a secret raffle entry link to complete. Parents can help students sign-up right now by going to the tinyurl in the poster too! Three lucky readers who participate will win a gift certificate to a local independent bookseller! Enjoy your winter break with a book or two and maybe win a prize just for reading!
Want to see the 6th Grade Music performance piece using handbells? CLICK HERE!
Have a great week!
Dan Morrison, Principal
Have a question or comment for the principal? Click here!
Important Dates to Remember and Other Resources
These events are always available on our website too! lsuu.org/schools/stowe-middle-school/
December 21st – LSUU Board Meeting (Morristown Elementary) 5:30PM
December 23rd – Early Release – 11:45 AM
December 24th – 31st – December Break
January 7th – Friday Program
January 11th – School-based Vaccination Clinics Dose 1 Date @ SES
January 14th – Friday Program
January 21st – Friday Program
January 27th – Winter Concert at Stowe Middle-High School.
January 28th – Friday Program
February 1st – School-based Vaccination Clinics Dose 2 Date @ SES
School Counselor Corner
8th Grade Consent Lesson: Lauren Conti (school counselor) will be partnering with Patrick Kantlehner (PE & Health educator) to facilitate a lesson on consent in 8th grade classes the week of December 13th. We encourage you to support this work by having follow up conversations with your student. Ask your students:
- How they define healthy consent and how it can apply to various situations
- Identify trusted adults they can talk to about important topics.
Family Educational Program: Parenting to Promote Mental Health & Wellness in Youth
Parents and caregivers have been working overtime through the pandemic! Please join us for this interactive workshop to learn about parenting/caregiver supports and strategies that promote children and youth mental health and wellness. The presentation will be followed by group discussion and brainstorming!
Athletics Update from Tim.Albertson@lsuu.org – Co-Curricular Activities Director
Winter Sports – All Middle School Basketball HOME games are played at Stowe Elementary School. All fans will need to sign in and wear a mask. No Food or Drinks Allowed. Please check the website and the practice schedule each week for any changes.
Thursday December 16th: Boys Basketball @ Lamoille 5:00/6:00 PM
Tuesday December 21st: Boys Basketball vs Crossett Brook 5:30/6:30 PM
Girls Basketball @ Crossett Brook 5:00/6:00 PM
Wednesday December 22nd: MS Boys vs Randolph 5:30/6:30 PM
Girls Basketball Practice 4:00-5:00 PM at Stowe High School
Thursday December 23rd: No Practices – Early Release
No Practices over Vacation. Have a great Holiday!!
Check out our athletics page! lsuuactivities.com/smsraiders
Below are openings we currently have at Stowe Middle School. You are welcome to share the links with those who may be interested.
- Stowe Middle School is looking for an Administrative Assistant. This position is posted here.
- Stowe Middle High School is looking for Facilities – Second Shift. This position is posted here.
- Stowe Middle School is looking for a Speech Language Aide. This position is posted here.
- Stowe Middle School is looking for a paraprofessional. This position is posted here.
Guest Teachers Needed! – Have you ever considered being a guest teacher (substitute)? We are in need of additional guest teachers this year and it could be a way to help your school community while also making some money near the holidays. Guest teachers are paid $125 / day and can sign up to teach in whatever building they feel comfortable in. Passing a background check is a requirement, along with a willingness and desire to help bring good energy into our classrooms. Other than that, we can train you! If you’d like to learn more, please contact Megan (email@example.com) or your school office.
Working Communities Challenge (WCC) Sharing Priority
Christmas gift donations: To make sure families who missed out on other gift drives have presents for children and teenagers, Stowe Community Church is collecting and distributing $25 gift cards. Donate gift cards or pick up cards to buy gifts for children or teens in need this Christmas:
- Stowe Community Church (137 Main Street)
- 8:30-2:30 M-F, or if you attend services 9:30 on Sunday
You can also pick up cards December 22, 5-7 PM. If those times do not work, email firstname.lastname@example.org. Preferably gift cards to online or local stores with a large selection for children and teens.