SMS School Hours: 8:00 a.m. – 2:45 p.m.
Student drop off starts at 7:30 a.m. Please do not drop your child off prior to 7:30 on any day. Attendance is taken promptly at 8:00 a.m.
SMS Phone Number: 802-253-6913
SMS School Nurse: 802-253-6913 x 1099
Greetings SMS Families,
December 23rd will be an early release day (11:45 am dismissal). This early dismissal is to show appreciation by the LSUU Board for the dedication of every member of our school community during these challenging times. Please note this change, as it is not reflected on the 2021 – 2022 School Calendar.
I am excited to announce that Stowe Middle School will have in-person opportunities to connect families with our school after winter break. Please review these opportunities below.
- Stowe Middle School’s advisory council will start in January and meet every other month. This council includes educators and parent leaders who are committed to sharing information and resources in a collaborative manner to promote educational excellence for all students. Effort is made to have representation of the ethnic, racial and economic makeups of our school community. Are you interested in this opportunity? We will meet once in January, March and May. Email firstname.lastname@example.org if you would like more information.
- Each month, starting in January, I will be hosting a monthly morning opportunity called Second Cup of Coffee. Parents are encouraged to bring a friend and have the opportunity to meet with the principal and other educators, and other parents to discuss school activities such as advisory, curriculum, testing, etc. This is a drop in opportunity. Join us TUESDAY, January 4th at 7:30AM in the cafeteria! Feel free to bring your own coffee mug or we’ll have some available!
- Stowe Middle School’s Principal Dan Morrison and Stowe High School’s Principal David Greenfield will host an educator appreciation celebration before winter break. We are going to host bingo, cider, hot chocolate, and snacks for our teachers on Wednesday, December 22nd. We could use donations of gift certificates or prizes for our teachers to play for! Do you know someone who might like to donate a prize? If so, fill out or share this quick form (tinyurl.com/bingosmhs ) and a member of our team will connect with you. All donations are greatly appreciated and to be dropped off by December 17th.
I would like to share a few personnel updates with you too!
Ms. Nancy has served as our administrative assistant since August. Nancy has been a valuable member of our team but will be transitioning into a new role at another school next week. I wanted to provide you with the following information about how our office team will serve you during this vacancy.
SMS Attendance or Early Pick-up – Call or Email email@example.com at 802-253-7229 . Anna is our receptionist at Stowe Middle High School.
SMS Health Office Needs – Call or Email firstname.lastname@example.org at 802-253-7229 x 1099
SMS Transcripts or Records Information – Call or Email email@example.com at 802-253-7229 x 1335 . Judy is our registrar at Stowe Middle High School.
Other Urgent Needs – Call or Email firstname.lastname@example.org 802-253-7229 x 1311 . Maryanne is our administrative assistant at Stowe High School
We look forward to continuing to provide you with the highest quality support. Below are openings we currently have at Stowe Middle School. You are welcome to share the links with those who may be interested.
- Stowe Middle School is looking for an Administrative Assistant. This position is posted here.
- Stowe Middle High School is looking for Facilities – Second Shift. This position is posted here.
- Stowe Middle School is looking for a Speech Language Aide. This position is posted here.
- Stowe Middle School is looking for a paraprofessional. This position is posted here.
- Stowe Middle School is looking for a Middle School Nordic Ski Coach. Practices are three days a week including meets. Looking for someone to organize practices and meets while teaching proper skiing techniques to the athletes. Anyone who is interested should submit a letter of interest to Tim Albertson, Athletic Director at email@example.com. Tim will follow up with next steps in the process.
As a reminder, registration for the Winter Break Reading Event at Stowe Middle School is underway! Response is strong and spots are almost full! Sign-up today! Read the details below!
Students should be on the lookout for emails and posters (as seen above) around the middle school with instructions for how to access the signup link for the Winter Break Reading Event. Students will have the opportunity to fill out a quick signup form and during the last week of school before the December break, students will receive a box with 4-5 surprise books along with a secret raffle entry link to complete. Parents can help students sign-up right now by going to the tinyurl in the poster too! Three lucky readers who participate will win a gift certificate to a local independent bookseller! Enjoy your winter break with a book or two and maybe win a prize just for reading!
Want to see the 6th Grade Music performance piece using handbells? CLICK HERE!
Have a great week!
Dan Morrison, Principal
Have a question or comment for the principal? Click here!
Other Stowe Middle School News and Announcements
Important Dates to Remember and Other Resources
These events are always available on our website too! lsuu.org/schools/stowe-middle-school/
December 23rd – Early Release – 11:45AM
December 24th – 31st – December Break
January 7th – Friday Program
January 11th – School-based Vaccination Clinics Dose 1 Date @ SES
January 14th – Friday Program
January 21st – Friday Program
January 27th – Winter Concert at Stowe Middle-High School.
January 28th – Friday Program
February 1st – School-based Vaccination Clinics Dose 2 Date @ SES
Athletics Update from Tim.Albertson@lsuu.org – Co-Curricular Activities Director
Winter Sports – Winter Sports are underway and basketball games begin next week. All Middle School Basketball HOME games are played at Stowe Elementary School. Please check the website and the practice schedule each week for any changes.
Monday December 13: Girls Basketball vs Lamoille at SES 5:30/6:30 PM
Wednesday December: 8th Grade Girls @ Randolph 5:00 PM
Thursday December 16th: Boys Basketball @ Lamoille 5:00/6:00 PM
Tuesday December 21st: Boys Basketball vs Crossett Brook 5:30/6:30 PM and Girls Basketball @ Crossett Brook 5:00/6:00 PM
Wednesday December 22nd: MS Boys vs Randolph 5:30/6:30 PM
Thursday December 23rd: No Practices – Early Release
Check out our athletics page! lsuuactivities.com/smsraiders
Working Communities Challenge (WCC) Sharing Priority
Let’s Boost Lamoille – Adults over 18 are eligible for booster shots:
- 2 months after getting the Johnson & Johnson vaccine
- 6 months after the second Pfizer or Moderna dose
If you were vaccinated at a state site, make your booster appointment here.
If you were vaccinated at a pharmacy, you can get a booster one of a few ways:
- Many pharmacies: including but not limited to Morrisville Kinney (Moderna, Pfizer, and pediatric Pfizer), CVS (Pfizer), Hannaford (Moderna). Appointments required and you must bring your vaccine card.
- Call Vermont Department of Health 855-722-7878: M-F 8-4:30, weekends 10-3.
- Make an appointment on the state site for a state clinic. If it won’t give you an option for a booster, make an appointment for a first dose, bring your vaccination card, and tell them at the appointment that you need a booster.
Central Vermont Home Health & Hospice (CVHHH) is doing in-home COVID booster shots for anyone who is interested. 802-223-1878, ask for Emily McKenna.