Dear PAML Families,
There is still time to sign-up for conferences! Please use the link below to schedule your conference for Monday or please call the office.
On Tuesday this week I had the opportunity to address the LSUU school board and update them on how things are going so far this school year. I’ve attached some excerpts of what I shared below:
- Enrollment has grown to 260 students, which is an increase in 11 students over last year. Our 8th grade has 87 students! Our numbers this year have prompted us to offer some new opportunities to students like a general music class for 8th graders and a “community lab” class for 6th graders.
- We have developed flexible learning blocks for each grade level each day. This allows us to offer targeted supplemental instruction provided by the additional grant funded staff that we hired last spring. These opportunities do not conflict with regular classroom instruction.
- Our teachers have really “doubled down” on the Social Emotional Learning aspect of their jobs at the start of the year. They have found creative and safe ways to get entire grade levels together outdoors, and they have been able to take advantage of thoughtful field trip opportunities like paddling on the Lamoille River and Cardboard Boat Racing.
- Our teachers have embraced important experiences they had last year like eating lunch outdoors with their students and continuing this as a safer practice this year.
- We have been piloting the use of a new reading assessment tool so that we can get to know our students better as readers. We launched the pilot with 7th grade and will be moving on to other grades as we progress through the fall.
- Our families have been doing a fantastic job of keeping their students home when they’re sick, helping their students come prepared to school with a mask, and as a result we have had 0 disruptions to our schedule due to positive COVID cases.
- We have found it necessary to be really thoughtful about our transition into this school year. I attribute this need to the idea that we have switched from COVID restrictions and an adjusted school schedule to COVID restrictions and a typical school schedule. It’s an adjustment for all of us that will continue to take time.
- Our workforce has yet again had to adjust and be flexible to meet another difficult moment in this pandemic. They are once again meeting this moment with their creative ideas and their hard work, but it is stressful and difficult nonetheless.
- We were very lucky to have posted our licensed staff positions early and have filled all of those positions with fantastic candidates. We still have openings for support staff positions as well as contracted positions through our agency partners that remain unfilled.
It’s possible that your student may be feeling some additional stress during this challenging moment in time. The article below does a really nice job of sharing some impactful student voices on this topic (spoiler alert: it’s not all negative). https://www.kqed.org/mindshift/58577/making-sense-of-the-pandemics-effects-on-adolescents-minds
Thank you for your continued support.
Matt Young, Principal
Please mark your calendars with these important dates:
- 10/11 no school for students/student led conferences
- 10/12 Picture Retakes
- 10/29 ½ day for students
Directions to schedule conferences – Please use this link How_To_Conference_Schedular_Parents.pdf for directions on how to schedule your student’s conferences for October 11th. Please call the office if you’d like to schedule your conference in-person and/or if you need assistance.
Mini MetroBasketball has announced that they will be offering a 2021-2022 basketball season this year. Mini-Metro is a competitive basketball league with an emphasis on player development and sportsmanship. All interested players in grades 5-8 should reach out for more information. Email: email@example.com. All boys who are interested please email Kelly.firstname.lastname@example.org or email@example.com. We are so excited to get back at it and can’t wait to hear from you!
Unbound has a new afternoon contact number. If your student is attending after school and you need to get in touch with them please call (802)261-0412. If you are looking to reach someone about afterschool programming between 8:00am and 2:45pm please contact Unbound through the school at 888-1401.
PA Gear Order available here. Sponsored by Boosters SKM_C65811012506060.pdf
Schoology Access For Families – The hub for information about your student’s learning at both PA and PAML is Schoology. Please follow this link to access the resources on the LSUU website. If you are having trouble logging in to Schoology or need an access code please contact our office.
COVID-19 Transmission Prevention – We continue to pursue a multi-layer approach to preventing virus transmission in our school. Our strategies are as follows:
- Masks are required when indoors at school and on the bus (Please help remind your student to bring a clean mask and an extra each day)
- Everyone is asked to please stay home when sick.
- Students can expect to eat lunch in their classrooms or outdoors in small groups for the foreseeable future.
- Our HVAC system has been optimized to cycle as much fresh air into classrooms as possible.
Announcements From Working Communities Challenge (WCC)
Morrisville Rotary Coat Drive. Donate clean winter coats and snow pants. Drop off this week at:
- Morrisville Meals on Wheels (21 Munson Avenue, M-F, 7-4)
- Marble Realty (14 Stafford Avenue, by appointment or chance Mon, Fri, Sat mornings)